Starting January 26, Star Wars Galaxies‘ “Galactic Civil War: Forces Under Siege” game update has been made available. Star Wars Galaxies is a long-running MMOG developed and published by LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment.
Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is offering eligible former players of of Star Wars Galaxies the chance to return to the game and play for free from February 1st to March 1st. Eligible accounts will be automatically re-activated, meaning players need only log in to rejoin the game and it’s events. Players who re-subscribe before the free-period conclusion will receive an in-game painting as a reward.
The Galactic Civil War: Forces Under Siege update features new massive invasion warfare scenarios in three major cities including:
- Cities will display Imperial or Rebel banners. Depending on which of the two factions is in control, faction specific NPCs, terminals and pylons, will be displayed differently.
- Support for Factional Mercenaries. Neutral players can side with either faction and participate in city conflicts and earn rewards.
- Mayors of player cities can set the city’s alignment from the management terminal.
- Newly implemented Planetary Regions allow players to fight to determine which faction controls a planet.
New Interactive Structures:
- Cities can be defended by building and manning barricades and defense turrets.
- Enemy cities can be assaulted and defense compromised with the AT-AT and Hailfire missile attacks.
New Profession-Based Quests:
- Players can contribute to battle with profession-specific quests that allow players to bolster defending or invading forces.
- Players can improve and repair defense structures, revive the fallen and heal the injured, entertain troops, scout patrol points, among many other things.
- Battle-specific quests (manning barricades, healing the fatigued, etc.) is rewarded with tokens that can be redeemed for new goodies, goodies like faction-specific clothing capes, cloaks, weapons, armor, etc.
Events like these are always fun when players need a little incentive to come back to a game. If your account is eligible, you can’t really beat a month of free gameplay.